Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Quilting Can Be Therapy Too!

As you read in my previous post, I had a wonderful "quilting weekend." Granted, most of the sewing was done on the machine, but I had a lot of "fine motor skill" practice on the quilt pictured on the previous post.

On Monday, some friends came to my house to sew and we had a lot of fun! I did not use my machine yesterday. I did hand-sewing. I had to finish the binding on another jelly roll quilt. This quilt was done in scarlet and gray fabric, with a little white and black thrown in for good measure. I made it for the brother of one of my therapists, John. Joe, who is currently in the hospital with Stage IV cancer, is also an OSU fan. John, on the other hand, is a Michigan fan. So I had double the fun making it!

Sewing the binding on did  require fine motor skills with my left (sore) hand. With the quilt being approximately 68x50, I got lots of therapeutic practice (with plenty of breaks).

As you can see in one of these pictures, I also quilted in a cancer ribbon in one corner. The others are of John receiving, and proudly displaying, Joe's folded quilt.

No comments: